8/03/2010

Friday 23rd July

Shattered.
Absolutely zonked so I'll just give a brief ''today so far''.

Babel.
Poonan, Hepsi, Suma, Joel and I went shopping today. It was great fun and along the way I had some sort of reasonably priced fruit smoothie thing at about RS 20, some coconut water and, wait for it, a chocolate-flavour wafer type thing! One of the yummiest things I have eaten out here, but that is possibly to do with the lack of chocolate in my excursions so far rather than the quality of the bar itself.
Suma was working overtime as we had language barriers of Babel like proportions. Poonan speaks Hindi, Punjab and very limited English; Hepsi speaks Telugu and even less English; I speak English, some incredibly useless Hindi phrases and the a small repertoire of Telugu words and jokes. Suma speaks Telugu and is also fluent in Hindi and English, so made an excellent translator when things got complicated.
Shopping, despite these differences, was easy as we all, as my mum would say, speak the universal language of woman.

Just in case.
Today our Auto driver was hedging his bets with car stickers of Ganesh, Jesus and some sort of Mosque symbol... I thought this pretty funny but apparently some people only use Christian autos (or Hindu or Muslim ones...) so this guy was probably just being business wise!

RS = Rupees (65 to the pound)

Evening: Friend for life.
Josh took me out on his motorbike because I had accidentally agreed that I would buy the bananas (or 'arriti pundu' as they are called here) when attempting to join in the Telugu conversation!
After a ridiculous quantity of bananas had been purchased Josh turned and asked me ''you like ice-cream?''
Duh.
So he bought me a chocolate cornetto-style cone and the kids some smaller pots of vanilla. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment